The Brazilian flirted with the idea of leaving Anfield for months before Barcelona eventually swooped in with a £142m move this time last year.
Coutinho’s life at the Nou Camp started well after his January 2018 move.
But a host of commentators have recently claimed Coutinho is struggling to prove his worth at Barcelona.
And Spanish football expert Richard Martin is the latest to reveal how the attacking midfielder continues to struggle amid rising tension between himself and frustrated Barcelona fans.
“Barcelona shelled out a club record 160 million euros to prise Philippe Coutinho from Liverpool, yet one year on from his signing, the Brazilian is struggling to get a game while his former side are thriving in his absence,” he told Reuters.
“His impact has waned.
“He has failed to start any of the La Liga leaders’ last three league games, falling behind Chilean midfielder Arturo Vidal and French forward Ousmane Dembele in the pecking order.
“It is quite the fall from grace for a player many believed was signed as the long-term successor to Andres Iniesta, who ended 16 trophy-laden seasons with Barca last May to see out his career in Japan.
“With Liverpool sitting four points clear at the top of the Premier League, Coutinho may be wondering on Sunday’s anniversary of his transfer from Anfield to the Nou Camp whether it was quite the dream move he had imagined at the time.”
And Barcelona fans have noticed the Brazilian’s poor performances.
After a game against Celta Vigo before the Spanish winter break, Coutinho was slammed by supporters online.
“I’m starting to take my words back about Coutinho being a world class player. This guy I’m seeing is absolutely bang average,” one wrote.
“Sorry Liverpool fans. Sorry for wasting Coutinho. Please forgive us. It’s not our faults,” another said.
“Just a reminder that this guy has cost us 160m and came as a bonafide superstar. Meanwhile the work in progress and the much blamed Dembele has been our second most decisive player,” added a third.